Avocado and Black-Eyed Pea Salsa
August 26, 2020 No Comments
The tradition of eating black-eyed peas for the New Year holiday started hundreds of years ago. It is prevalent in the south-eastern portion of the United State population. It is thought to bring luck or prosperity to those who eat black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day. It’s said that the best way to get luck throughout the year is to eat 365 black-eyed peas after midnight on New Year’s Eve or on New Year’s Day; one for each day of the year. This recipe is a new and delicious way to bring this tradition into the holiday in a fresh dish that can be added to the New Year’s celebrations.
- Two firm, ripe diced avocados
- A half cup of chopped green onion
- A half cup of chopped cilantro
- One cup of chopped plum tomatoes
- One 11-ounce can of drained sweet corn
- One 15-ounce can of black-eyed peas
- After dicing and chopping the avocados, onions, cilantro and tomatoes, the corn can be opened and drained. Before tossing together, remove the excess water from the black-eyed peas and rinse them to remove the salt. Combine the salsa ingredients. It is a good idea to make sure the ingredients are thoroughly but lightly tossed together.
- After combining the salsa ingredients, use a separate bowl to merge the liquid ingredients and whisk them into a mixture that can be poured over the salsa.
- Toss the dressing with the salsa, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the salsa marinate in the refrigerator for one hour before serving to meld the flavors.
- This New Year’s recipe makes 12 servings and takes 20 minutes of preparation time.
- The total time to make this recipe is one hour and twenty minutes.
- Each serving has 134 calories. The salsa has 3 grams of protein. It is extremely easy to make.
- After dicing and chopping, the mixture needs to be tossed then can be set aside while other dishes are being prepared.