Awesome Lasagna With Beef and Sausage
1 pound corn meal with a coarse grind (sand-like in texture as opposed to flour)
8 cups of water
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces grated parmesan cheese
Black pepper to taste
¼ cup of quality olive oil
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 small chopped onion
Dash of red pepper flakes
3 cans or 18 ounces tomato paste
24 ounces of water
16-17 ounce can of undrained whole tomatoes
1-1/2 teaspoons of dry basil
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon dry oregano
2 tablespoons sugar
4-6 ounces of crabmeat or meat from a lobster
4-6 ounces of quartered sea scallops or whole bay scallops
4-6 ounces of cleaned, peeled and deveined small raw shrimp
- You will first want to brown the meat that you are going to cook, then once it is browned you can dice the sage, oregano, black pepper, basil, onions and garlic.
- Mix the herbs, onions and garlic in the meat and cook all together on a low heat until the onions and garlic are slightly caramelized.
- Note: Make the noodles 30 minutes earlier and place them in cold water so that they are easier to work with. This is the same for eggplant Parmesan, but cut the eggplant in thin slices and slightly brown them in a pan (If you can find white eggplant, it is the best).
- Once you have the meat ready, you can preheat the oven and start preparing the noodles in a casserole dish.
- Start by placing a layer of meat and sauce on the bottom of medium sized casserole dish.
- Cover the first layer of meat with noodles, and then put a thin layer of ricotta cheese (add Parmesan for Egg Plant Parmesan)..
- Now Add a second layer of meat and sauce and repeat this until you have reached the top with the last layer of meat, cover with a Mozzarella (and Parmesan for eggplant Parmesan). You will want to save enough Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan for later.
Lasagna is a very versatile dish, and you can change a few things to make it just how you like it. You can substitute the tomato paste for ricotta cheese, and make a separate marinara sauce to layer between the noodles and cheese. This will make lasagna with more cheese flavor and less tomato. This can also be done for Eggplant Parmesan, but adding 4 ounces of freshly shredded Parmesan in with the Ricotta cheese.
There are a million different way to make lasagna to your taste, and changing the ingredients a little you will be sure to please your family and any dinner guest. You can also make more than one at a time and freeze them for later dinners, and they will keep for three months. Have fun with your new recipe/s that you and your family are sure to enjoy.