Polenta with Homemade Tomato-Seafood Sauce
1 pound corn meal with a coarse grind (sand-like in texture as opposed to flour)
8 cups of water
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces grated parmesan cheese
Black pepper to taste
¼ cup of quality olive oil
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 small chopped onion
Dash of red pepper flakes
3 cans or 18 ounces tomato paste
24 ounces of water
16-17 ounce can of undrained whole tomatoes
1-1/2 teaspoons of dry basil
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon dry oregano
2 tablespoons sugar
4-6 ounces of crabmeat or meat from a lobster
4-6 ounces of quartered sea scallops or whole bay scallops
4-6 ounces of cleaned, peeled and deveined small raw shrimp
- In a large pot, add the salt to the water and boil.
- Slowly add the polenta to the boiling water while stirring constantly. Continued stirring throughout the process will keep lumps from forming and stop the polenta from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Cook until the polenta thickens absorbing most of the water, around 30 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Season to taste with pepper. If necessary, additional boiling water can be added before the polenta fully cooked.
Makes approximately 4 servings
- In a large kettle or pot sauté the red pepper flakes, onion and garlic in the olive oil being careful it does not burn.
- Once the onion is softened add the water and tomato paste.
- Stir frequently and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except for the seafood and simmer an additional 1 to 2 hours.
- During the final 5 minutes of cooking time, add the seafood and simmer until the scallops are opaque and shrimp are pink and starting to curl. Stir the seafood into the mixture while simmering.
Spoon the sauce over the cooked polenta and enjoy!
Serve the sauce over polenta cakes or patties for variety. Grease a baking dish and when the polenta is finished cooking but still hot, pour into the prepared dish. Chill until firm in the refrigerator. Cut into desired size and shape and fry in an oiled pan until golden. Serve with warm Tomato-Seafood Sauce.